Sunday, July 19, 2009

Starting a new quilt

I'm finally working on a quilt for us! It's been in the project list for awhile now and I just needed to order the fabric. Once it finally came, I was so excited and it was so beautiful, it was hard to cut, but of course I did. After getting all my pieces cut, I commandeered the living room (photographed) to see exactly how I was going to lay it out. Being a woman, I changed my mind from a hour-glass quilt to a pinwheel quilt at the last minute and was rearranging the triangles till 11 p.m. and then had to map it all out on my chart and pin them all together and label them. The next morning I started sewing. Never having sewed "prairie points" before I checked online real quick and gave it a shot. My results were not stunning. Luckily for me the women at the local quilt shop here are very helpful and sweet. She explained in great detail how to sew it and then pull a tiny bit out on the back once you've sewn it all to make it all lay flat. Yay! Success! Here is my first successful block--the other one is ok and will still be used in the quilt, it just isn't perfect. Two down, 22 to go.

4 comments:

Alana said...

That looks great!

Paula said...

You go, girl!

jennifer nissen said...

Pretty cool....prairie points are just I imagined actually!

Indigo Blue said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. These look like perfect pinwheels to me! I have just bought a quilt block book from Ebay which will hopefully help me to make up some nice star designs, but we shall see how I get on with those.
x